Friday, August 7, 2009

Mystery Music Theater 2600

Sometimes I really like the way fortune occasionally smiles. I decided to hit up Café Brazil, as I wasn't feeling like cooking up anything. Fortunately for me, I'd forgotten my iPhone so I was relegated to getting a copy of the Dallas Observer to occupy my time while I waited for my food. Lo and behold, guess what I found out? Available starting today are tickets for


MASTODON AND DETHKLOK

at the House of Blues on Wednesday, November 11th. Say what you want about the House of Blues being corporate trash, but it's no more corporate than the Palladium Ballroom considering the House of Blues actually allows you to buy tickets at the box office with no 30% "convenience" fee. Sure, it's no Granada, but there haven't been any concerts I've wanted to see since Jonathan Coulton and Paul & Storm.

I've not seen Mastodon in concert, so I can't speak for them, but I have seen Dethklok in concert, and they put on one hell of a show. Just like Metalocalypse, their live show perfectly blends comedy with melodic death metal insofar as the audience is pretty much put into the plot of a Metalocalypse fic that unfolds during the concert. Anyone who wants to go, give me a heads up because I'm sure as shit going to be there.

Shifting gears sort of abruptly, I put down my pre-order for Rock Band Beatles today. Holy crap. I was going to get the full set so I could get some new wireless equipment. Unfortunately, it isn't $180 as I thought it would be, but rather $250. Forget that noise. With that $70 markup, I'll get the game alone, thank you very much. Oh, speaking of the game, it was $65 instead of the $50 or $55 I was expecting. That must have been one hell of a price Harmonix paid to get the first digital versions of Beatles songs. No, seriously. Apple doesn't have their stuff on iTunes and Amazon doesn't have their original stuff in their MP3 store either. Eh. Until the game comes out next month, I'll be busy with new downloadable stuff that I'd not seen. Another Weezer pack (with My Name is Jonas and Pork & Beans), a Rancid pack (2 songs off of ...And Out Come the Wolves and one off of their new album), and a decent Spinal Tap pack that has classics such as Stonehenge, Big Bottom, and Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight.

Finally, for those of you who are fans of MST3K, on Thursday, August 20, the three guys from Rifftrax will be broadcasting a riffing of Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's kind of similar to how This American Life occasionally broadcasts a live show to theaters throughout the country. Only, you know, MST-ified.

Holy moley! An entire post where I didn't mention roller derby.


...crap.

No comments: