Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I woke up this morning, had a scone and a large house blend

It's been an interesting start to the weekend. Instead of coming home and going to sleep shortly afterwards, I decided to go to Cafe Brazil to eat breakfast (only because we don't have a Kiev in Dallas and a thousand geek points to whoever gets that reference). This in and of itself isn't out of the ordinary, as I usually do this once every month or two after I get off work for the week. No, the weird thing is that I actually ordered my eggs over medium (though they came out over easy). I've never had eggs any way other than scrambled or boiled. It was actually pretty good, especially with some of the tomatillas and chicken from the enchilada mixed in.

I decided to switch my car insurance provider. Funny story. They decided to hike my premium up ten bucks. I thought this a bit odd since I've not had a wreck or a ticket or any other thing that would make my insurance go up in, oh, ten years. I sent off an e-mail to them politely asking what the deal was, and while I was waiting for a response I went looking for rate quotes elsewhere. It turned out that I could get an identical policy for about $75 cheaper. That's not a reason for switching since it's virtually guaranteed that Progressive would have matched the price. However, when I got my reply from them, the answer they gave me was kind of weak ("Oh, it's the Texas Legislature's fault that we have to charge you more because of insert bill name here") and worse, the lady made the noun "policyholder" plural by adding an apostrophe S. Seriously? Policyholder's? It's not even a common pluralization mistake, like adding an apostrophe S to nouns ending in vowels (like "Oreo's"). So, I sent them another e-mail telling them why I wasn't renewing my policy with them. I wasn't snarky or anything (which is actually quite the accomplishment when we're talking me and grammar), but I did tell them the grammatical error was the thing that pushed me to someone else. Hey, the way I see it, if people aren't notified that they suck in so many words and if there are no consequences for their crappy grammar, then they'll never learn.

After pretty much having absolutely zero interaction with anyone whatsoever barring co-workers for several weeks, I feel I'm getting that "need to be social" vibe again that I hate so. I hate it because people prove to be nothing but a huge disappointment time and again, and it's absolutely moronic of me to have this instinctual need to be get screwed by them, figuratively, not literally. It's getting so bad that I might even go to The Church. I shudder at the thought.

There are a couple things that I'd like to link to, but this post is getting too long as it is, so I'll talk about them in a later post.

No comments: