Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In which I come up with a lame "In which I..." subject line

Normally, I like to be pretty reserved and calm about things. Notice, I say normally. Currently, I'm about to jump out of my skin in a very messy joygasm because I just found out that Paul and Storm and Jonathan Coulton are coming to Dallas on Wednesday, May 13th. Color me extremely surprised. The last time they were here, the online ticket vendor that Club Dada was using really screwed the pooch and online purchase was completely unavailable until something like three days before the show. Needless to say, it was a rather intimate show. In addition to that, They had just played in Houston and Austin during SXSW a couple weeks ago, and I didn't think that they'd be returning to Dallas this soon. It's rare times like these that I actually like being wrong.

For any non-geeks reading, Jonathan Coulton is computer programmer-turned-folk musician known for his geek-friendly themes such as zombies, unrequited love, monkeys, and mad scientists. His best known work is easily Code Monkey, though two of his other songs have made it into Rock Band, Skullcrusher Mountain and Still Alive, the ending theme to the game Portal. Example:


Portal - Still Alive typography from Trickster on Vimeo.

Paul and Storm were initially part of the a capella group DaVinci's Notebook, who may be familiar to people who listened to Bob & Tom in the '90s. While they still attract fans from that sort of demographic (their song The Captain's Wife's Lament matches that kind of humor), they've expanded and become very geeky in their touring with Jonathan Coulton, as indicated by their song Live. They also wrote the old-timey theme The Ballad of the Sneak for the Brothers Chaps at Homestar Runner.

No comments: