Monday, September 21, 2009

It's like a god-damned family reunion

Okay, I've been very very bad in catching up on my RSS feeds, so if I normally comment and haven't lately, that's probably why. It's just kind of weird getting a comment to something you posted 3 weeks ago, so I tend to avoid it as much as possible. By the way, Glynis, that apple frangipane tart looks amazing.

I've finished four seasons of Doctor Who via Netflix and have now started in on Torchwood. I've only seen the first 2 episodes (Season 1 Disc 1), but I'm getting a distinctly Doctor Who After Dark vibe to it. Not that that's a bad thing. It's aimed at a more mature audience in that it drops more profanity and I don't think we'd ever see a Doctor Who Monster of the Week that's a sentient gas that gets off on people getting off. Well, not officially anyway. I'm sure something like that would have eventually come up in a Doctor Who fanfic if Torchwood didn't come up with it. All I'm saying is that it seems decidedly different from the show that spawned it, but that's not necessarily bad.

I do think I'm in trouble. I didn't even make it through a single episode without resorting to creating a macro of the show.



My parents are in town visiting. I took them to derby last night, and they really enjoyed themselves, particularly during the second bout (The Treasure Chests vs. the Booty Queens). I do hope they start going to bouts in either Tallahassee or Panama City as a result. Other than derby, I've gotten decidedly less sleep since they've been here simply because of the conflicting schedules. It's also weird and crowded having three people and four pets in my apartment for a week when I'm so used to it being just me and Mango. Speaking of which:



It seems that my parents have got it in their head that they're going to buy me a couch while they're here. On the one hand, free stuff is good, but on the other, I'm really bugged out by their motivation for it. I graduated in 2004 and, I must add, through nothing I have said or done, are still feeling guilty for my paying my own way through college via scholarships, loans, grants, & GI Bill. I think had my brother actually graduated after they'd paid his way, they wouldn't feel so bad. I'm just kind of uncomfortable taking their charity because there are people who have far greater need of their generosity than me.

No comments: