Monday, February 2, 2009

They're makin' laws, but they don't understand, turns a boy into a fightin' man

For the longest time after my parents got divorced, most of the music my mother listened to, like Kansas, Styx, and Twisted Sister, got passed onto me. Well, The Thompson Twins sort of became forgettable, but other that, most of my mother's taste got passed onto me.

Except for Journey.

Good God I hated Journey with a passion for the longest time afterwards. Alas, it was not a permanent thing. Journey is just too damn craptastic to not love. Interestingly enough, all through over a decade of hatred of Journey, I still remembered Neal Schon, Ross Valory, Steve Smith, and Steve Perry. Sure, everyone remembers Steve Perry, but who else, especially someone who hated the band for such a long time, still cling onto information like that?

In a word, me. However, I had some memory aids from long ago helping those names remain lodged in my brain forever. That memory aid? Journey Escape for the Atari 2600. I spent so much damn time avoiding heart-shaped panties with legs, Abe Vigodas, and white blobs in an effort to reach the Kool-Aid Man and a scarab that the band members' names stuck with me for all that time.

Do note that I had completely forgotten about Jonathan Cain, the keyboardist. I suppose this just shows that even in the mind of a child, the keyboardist in a band is the most worthless person in a band, particularly onstage.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: