Wednesday, April 8, 2009

D-U-M-B Everyone's accusing me

If there is one thing that defines me more than being a complete technology slut, it's that I'm a cheapskate. So when one of my co-workers mentioned that he was getting rid of his iPhone because it didn't support MMS (which is what Picture Mail uses), I jumped at the chance. Sure, I wasn't going to switch to AT&T, but I'd been eyeing the iPod Touch as something to watch video on when the laptop is just too bulky. Not only that, but there are the applications.

Of course, getting the thing to work was an exercise in patience because of all the crappy things AT&T does to lock things down. First I had to restore the phone. Once it did that, it wouldn't work without a SIM card. Of course, not only any SIM card would do. Not only did it have to be an activated SIM card, but Jose (my co-worker) had to fill out a lot of crap in my iTunes so that AT&T could verify his identity. Fortunately, once that was all said and done and once the SIM card was removed, this time it worked just fine. Now I effectively have an iPod Touch that has a camera and GPS on it, and I got it for less than half what Apple would charge.

While I've been sort of gluttonous with the free apps (lots of radio apps and other music stuff), there was one app I've actually paid for: Oregon Trail. Awwwww yeah. Dysentery is back, baby!

I've recently been thinking of a way to write with a little bit more frequency. One of the things I was thinking was having a list of things that identify someone as a geek. Not really a, "You might be a geek" thing, but something more substantial than that. I think it'd be fun, but I'd like to have a huge list (Yes, a "You might be a geek" list of sorts) before I started so that I could do it regularly for quite some time. That said, I'm pretty sure if I was to wait until I felt I had sufficient material, I'd never get started.

No comments: