Thursday, April 9, 2009

EXTERMINATE!

So I've recently started watching the new Doctor Who, and I have to admit that I've grown rather fond of it. Sure, some of the plots leave a lot to be desired, but at least the effects are tolerable. The glut of rubber monsters were pretty much the reason I couldn't get into the old one before (that and the only time you can get British shows on PBS is late nights on the weekends), but the new one is actually pretty damn compelling. Even when you take something as hackneyed as introducing The Devil as an antagonist for a couple of episodes, it's still pretty damned awesome.

One of the things I noticed when I was looking some stuff up is that some people seem to be noticing a trend with Doctor Who in the baddies' use of automatons/zombies/golems as henchmen. Of course, the baddies who use these are inevitably evil geniuses. While I can definitely see the trend as well (and noted it independently before I looked it up), one thing I can't believe no one's noticed yet was in the Satan Pit episode.

The Devil or whatever name you choose to use was able to control people by having letters of an ancient language marked on their bodies. Helloooo!! That's pretty much right out of the Jewish golem myth.

Okay, enough. My only reason for making this post was to share some awesome Dalek cosplay that was recently seen at Supanova, an Australian sci-fi/anime/comic convention. Seriously, it's downright adorable, even moreso when you think of them saying "EXTERMINATE" in Aussie accents.



You can see the rest of the pictures over here.

No comments: